The Legendary Nine Silver Bells
(Part of the Burmese temple tradition, and embodied by the lovely Birman Cats)
The Meaning of Each Silver Bell
- CAT -- Birth or Beginning
- PRIEST -- He eats what is left over and is easily satisfied with little.
WARRIOR -- Marches in front, and ready to fight.
- RIGHT BELIEF -- that truth is the guide of man.
HUSBAND OR WIFE -- Watchful, and goes out to the house first, and returns last.
- RIGHT RESOLVE -- to be calm at all times and not to harm any living creature.
STROLLING SINGER -- Ill-trained and changeful and wounds him who gets near.
- RIGHT SPEECH -- never to lie, never to slander anyone, and never to use coarse or harsh language.
THIEF -- He prowls around in darkness and is a shameless eater.
- RIGHT BEHAVIOR -- never to steal, never to kill, and never to do anything one may later regret or be ashamed of.
COURTESAN -- Fond of sleep, gentle, and trusting.
- RIGHT OCCUPATION -- never to choose an occupation that is considered bad.
CHILD -- Fond of sleep, gentle, and trusting.
- RIGHT EFFORT -- always to strive for that which is good and avoid that which is evil.
HERMIT -- Digs the earth with his paws.
- RIGHT CONTEMPLATION -- of the NOBLE TRUTHS, in calmness and detachment.
- RIGHT CONCENTRATION -- will then follow and lead to the path of perfect space.
- Religious part, following the eightfold path.
Please send suggestions, additions and comments to: WebMaster - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Modified: Sunday, February 28, 1999 3:16:20 PM
Birman Home Page